With a student population totalling 11,000, including 2,600 graduate and post-graduate students, École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS) in Montréal is among the largest engineering schools in Canada, offering Bachelor, Master and Doctoral programs that focus on applied engineering. ÉTS maintains strong ties with industry thanks to a dynamic cooperative education system, and boasts an exceptional level of partnership-based research and innovation and features world-class research equipment and facilities.
ÉTS values diversity among those who join its team, and has adopted an equal access to employment program that is primarily intended for women, indigenous people, members of visible and ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities. ÉTS also adheres to Engineers Canada’s 30 by 30 initiative, aimed at attaining the objective of 30% female engineers by 2030, and was honoured with the Prix Thérèse Casgrain (Thérèse Casgrain Award) in 2019 for its efforts related to the inclusion of women in engineering. ÉTS invites members of under-represented groups (i.e.: women, indigenous people, members of visible and ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities) to identify as such when submitting an application.
Description of the position
The Systems Engineering Department at ÉTS is seeking a Professor with a background in engineering or computer science related to artificial intelligence, and in particular with expertise in machine learning, information fusion, pattern recognition, data science, intelligent and adaptive systems, and computer vision. Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to excellence in research and teaching related to Systems Engineering in programs at all three academic levels. The ideal candidate’s research and teaching activities will be added to existing projects in fields of interest to the Laboratory for Imaging, Vision and Artificial Intelligence (LIVIA), which has adopted the mission of developing advanced artificial intelligence techniques to solve complex problems related to medical imaging, document processing, biometrics, affective computing in healthcare, video analytics and surveillance, etc.
Areas of expertise
The ideal candidate must possess general knowledge in the field of artificial intelligence and its application to various engineering disciplines. Areas of expertise required for this field of research are those related to machine learning, information fusion, pattern recognition, data science, intelligent and adaptive systems and computer vision.
Working as part of a dynamic research team, the incumbent will assume the following responsibilities:
- Teach courses at all three levels in subjects related to Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science;
- Supervise graduate and post-graduate students;
- Submit applications for financing and grants, primarily from Québec, Canadian or international government bodies, industrial organizations, municipalities and foundations;
- Conduct subsidized or contract-based research projects in partnership with industry and workplaces;
- Develop research programs;
- Publish scientific articles.
- Hold a Doctorate (Ph.D.) in Engineering in a field related to the areas of expertise;
- Be a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) or be eligible to join the OIQ and undertake the necessary steps to become a member before submitting an application for full professorship;
- Have experience in conducting research in collaboration with industry or experience in industrial R&D;
- Demonstrate excellent skills related to training highly-qualified personnel through research projects and teaching;
- Be proficient in French (oral and written), in compliance with the ÉTS Language Policy (in French), or demonstrate a willingness to learn French and enter into French training program with the support of ÉTS.
Winter 2022 or as soon as possible.
Submitting an application
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality.
We will take into account any leaves that may result in career interruptions or delays. Therefore, we encourage you to mention any such leave that may have affected your professional path. We will take this information into consideration when evaluating your application.
In case of a disability, we may offer accommodation measures during the hiring process.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application before 5:00 p.m. (EST) on October 27, 2021. However, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Each application must include the following in a single pdf document:
- A cover letter;
- Your curriculum vitae;
- A statement of your teaching objectives;
- Your research plan, indicating how your work complements the areas of research targeted by a department or research group at ÉTS;
- A sample of your research achievements (e.g.: recent scientific articles, conference proceedings, theses, dissertations, etc.).
If you require more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates who are retained for an interview will be contacted.
This is a tenure-track position. The process and benefits will be determined in accordance with the applicable collective agreement.
Upcoming Requests for Proposals
Canada Research Chair (CRC) Program
Within the context of the Request for Proposals related to the Canada Research Chairs (CRC) Program, ÉTS is soliciting applications for two Professor positions for a Tier 1 CRC. For more information, please visit the Careers page.
Marcelle-Gauvreau Engineering Research Chair Program
ÉTS will soon be issuing a Request for Proposals in connection with this program. Five of the ten chairs for 2021 have been assigned to internal professors, and five others will be assigned to external professors. These openings will be posted in our careers page.
Located in the heart of Metropolitan Montréal and close to central neighbourhoods and public transit, ÉTS offers a number of benefits in addition to competitive compensation and a generous pension fund:
- Group insurance;
- Priority access to the ÉTS Sports Centre, located on campus;
- Public transit incentive program;
- Vehicle and bicycle parking at competitive rates;
- On-site child care centre and day camp;
- Many other benefits.
In compliance with the immigration requirements in effect in Canada, ÉTS invites all qualified individuals to apply. However, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. When submitting an application, it is important to indicate whether you are able to work in Canada, so that the applicable immigration procedures can be planned accordingly.