The University of Alabama in Huntsville invites applications for a full-time Clinical Assistant Professor or a Full-time Lecturer to assist with undergraduate course development and instruction for online and blended courses in the area of Engineering Technology offered through the College of Professional and Continuing Studies.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH), classified as a High Research Activity Institution, offers academic and research programs in the Colleges of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Nursing, Professional and Continuing Studies, and Science. Huntsville maintains one of the highest per capita incomes and standards of living in the Southeast, with military, space, telecommunications, biotechnology, diversified manufacturing and a variety of emerging specialties providing a diverse range of government and private industry opportunities.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE: The mission of the College of Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS) is to increase enrollment and retention of adult learners; enhance and diversify academic offerings through quality interdisciplinary undergraduate programming; respond quickly and responsibly to workforce development needs; and promote and expand lifelong learning opportunities. In addition to the Bachelor of Arts/Science in Professional Studies, the College also serves adult learners through noncredit programming in the following units: Professional Development Solutions, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Outreach and Special Programs, and UAH Testing and Certification Services.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT: Professional Studies is a new academic department supporting two interdisciplinary degrees, Bachelor of Science/Arts in Professional Studies (BPS). The department provides an academic environment that supports adult learners returning to higher education to complete their education and expand their career options. To meet the academic and logistical needs of adult students, the department offers specialized credit courses and well-defined services that advocate student success.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Consideration of applications will begin immediately, and the search will remain open until the position is filled. Applications will be processed as received.
UAH is seeking a Clinical Assistant Professor or a Full-time Lecturer for the department of Professional Studies, to support a new concentration in Engineering Technology (ET) within the Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies. The incumbent will work closely with the Dean to develop and promote UAH’s new adult degree completion program. The individual will contribute to the mission, vision, and core values of the College by teaching in accordance to best practices and ABET accreditation requirements. Course areas: Engineering Technology Foundations; Computer-Aided Design; Statistics; Strength of Materials; Dynamics; Electrical Circuits and Systems Manufacturing; Instrumentation and Measurement Systems; and Engineering Communications.
Responsibilities of the Position
- Teaching undergraduate Engineering Technology courses;
- Developing quality online and hybrid curriculum;
- Assisting with the coordination and oversight of part-time ET faculty;
- Providing leadership and commitment to build and maintain a high-quality degree program;
- Advising and mentoring students;
- Collaborating with colleagues to conduct program and course planning and revisions;
- Attending meetings, training sessions, and recruitment opportunities; and
- Providing service to the University, College and Profession as applicable.
- Clinical Assistant Professor – Terminal degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or a related field; preferably with 18 hours of graduate level courses in Mechanical, Aerospace and/or Civil Engineering; experience teaching in a higher education environment.
- Full-time Lecturer – Master’s Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, or a related field; preferably with 18 hours of graduate level courses in Mechanical, Aerospace, and/or Civil Engineering.
- Knowledge of best practices for teaching, advising, and mentoring adult learners;
- Commitment to ongoing professional development to maintain currency in the field; and
- Experience in designing/facilitating online and blended delivery courses.
- Two or more years teaching experience in a higher education environment;
- Knowledge and experience collaborating with community colleges, veteran organizations, and/or government/industry on educational partnerships and/or scholarship opportunities.
Rank and Salary: Both positions are non-tenure track. Salary will be competitive and commensurate to rank, experience, and qualifications. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available.
Applications are being processed as received. If interested, please send a cover letter of interest, curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts, and names of three (3) references including address, phone number, and email address to: Dr. Karen Clanton, Dean, UAH College of Professional and Continuing Studies, WIL 145, 301 Sparkman Dr., Huntsville, AL 35899, 256-824-6013, PCSDeansOffice@uah.edu.
The University of Alabama in Huntsville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer of minorities/females/veterans/disabled.
Please refer to log number: 19/20-701