Brief Description of PSU/School/Dept
Portland State University is a public university located in the heart of one of the most vibrant cities in the U.S. The University is known nationally for its innovation, community engagement, and sustainability initiatives. Its urban setting and unique relationship with the city, regional agencies, and local high-tech companies provide a living laboratory for urban research, and industry and government collaboration. The University has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity, equity, inclusion, and multiculturalism, and provides a welcoming atmosphere with unique professional opportunities for leaders from underrepresented groups. Portland State University is not only Portland’s public research university, it is also Oregon’s most diverse, innovative, and affordable research university.
The Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering (MME) in the Maseeh College of Engineering of Computer Science is committed to educating, inspiring, preparing, and mentoring students to excel as professionals and grow throughout their science and engineering careers. The Department nurtures a professional, collaborative, and supportive learning environment that encourages initiative, innovation, and willingness to change; promotes scholarship and teaching excellence; and sustains a vital, state-of-the-art research enterprise for students and faculty to create, interpret, apply and disseminate knowledge.
MME currently has 12 faculty members (11 tenure track), including 1 NSF CAREER Award recipient and 1 PECASE recipient. The Department offers four degree programs and one graduate certificate: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME), Master of Science in Materials Science and Engineering (MSMSE), Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME), Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, and a Graduate Certificate in Semiconductor Materials and Manufacturing. All degree programs are accredited, the BSME program through ABET and the graduate programs through NWCCU. More information can be found at www.pdx.edu/mechanical-materials-engineering
The position is a 9-month, full-time, non-tenure track faculty position at the rank of Teaching Assistant Professor. The position is eligible for a continuous appointment following successful annual reviews during the probationary period and a final milestone review.
Candidates should have a strong commitment to undergraduate education, demonstrate excellence and innovation in teaching, have the ability to motivate students in an engaging manner and be able to contribute to the department’s educational mission. The ideal candidate will develop, coordinate, and support a curriculum that significantly extends or enhances educational opportunities for students in the department. We are particularly interested in applicants with expertise in the areas of mechanical design and finite element analysis.
Candidates for this position will typically be responsible for teaching two 4-credit courses each quarter in a broad range of undergraduate and graduate courses in mechanical engineering. Additional responsibilities include service to the department, college, and university, and supervision of one or two capstone teams. While this position is focused on instructional responsibilities, additional supporting scholarly activities (including the pedagogy of engineering education) and service to the community and profession are expected.
Instructional activities are related to developing and teaching undergraduate and graduate mechanical engineering courses. Anticipated teaching and related duties include:
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses as assigned, including instruction in laboratory settings.
- Development, coordination, and evaluation of course materials that fit within the overall curriculum.
- Participation in assessment and accreditation activities
- Preparation of students to be successful leaders in their chosen profession
- Creation of an inclusive classroom environment and experience.
The position is primarily focused on instructional responsibilities and is primarily evaluated with regard to their teaching and service, however, the successful candidate is encouraged to engage in a variety of research activities in the department, with industry partners, and with professional societies.
University Service Activities
Serve on relevant school, college, or university committees. Participate in strategic meetings to advance departmental, college, and university educational initiatives.
Professional Service Activities
Candidates are encouraged to participate in professional societies such as related industry organizations.
- D. degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field. Candidates with an ABD will be considered, though the Ph.D. must be completed by the employment start date.
- Demonstrated instructional skills including lab and project-based courses.
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in engineering pedagogy and assessment methods.
- Proficiency with technical communication (written and spoken) strategies for diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhancing the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
Please visit https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/38371 for detailed information and instructions on applying.
Required documents for the application include:
- A cover letter describing interest and qualifications for the position.
- A current curriculum vitae
- A statement of teaching interests and/or philosophy (2 page limit).
- A statement of diversity/equity/inclusion (2 pages limit)
- Contact information for professional references; References will only be contacted if you are considered for advancement to a second-round screening.
Candidates that advance to the second round of screening will be asked to provide quantitative and qualitative evidence of teaching effectiveness that may include but are not limited to, sample syllabi, sample assignments, example in-class activities, sample grading rubrics, and student evaluations of teaching or course evaluations.
For questions about this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin on June 5, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.