The Role of The National Water and Energy Center (NWEC) is a multidisciplinary research and consultancy center based at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) in Al Ain. Its scope of research encompasses assessment, development, management and sustainability of groundwater, surface water, desalinated water, and treated wastewater both quantitatively and qualitatively. The Center provides high-impact research and innovative practical solutions to water-related challenges across the United Arab Emirates and beyond. The NWEC addresses the country’s growing water needs, strengthens the knowledge base and informs water decisions at local, regional, and international levels. It contributes to the development of water policies and scientifically based solutions through conducting basic and applied research, consultation services, capacity building projects, and collaboration across the country’s water science and management institutions. The international team of the NWEC provides expertise in water resources and environmental management and facilitates the dissemination of knowledge between the research community, water authorities and organizations, and policy and decision makers. The NWEC offers a stimulating research environment, a comprehensive pool of field and laboratory equipment, and access to state-of-the-art modeling and computational infrastructure.
The NWEC is seeking a highly motivated candidate to join our interdisciplinary research group as a post-doctoral research associate. The candidate is expected to work closely but also independently from the senior research staff. In addition, the candidate is expected to have a multidisciplinary attitude and pursue excellent scientific results at an international level. The principal duties and responsibilities assigned to this position will include, but not limited to, conducting computational research on spatiotemporal analysis to identify, measure, and monitor the effect of climate variability and extreme weather events on agriculture, surface water, and groundwater, with an emphasis on the use of different climatological and remote sensing data techniques. The candidate should assist the senior researcher in the ongoing projects and researches and write research proposals, scientific reports, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed journal articles.
A PhD in Soil and Water Engineering, or closely related discipline, with background in climate change, is expected. At least 2-year postdoctoral experience is required.
The successful candidate should have genuine experience and expertise in several of, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Hydrologic and climatic extremes, climate modeling, and precipitation variability
- Droughts and forecasting of climate events using GCMs and RCMs
- Ecosystem interaction to regional climate change
- Fluctuation in precipitation and temperature time series
- Application of gridded data products and biases correction method modification
- Drought indices reformulation and their application
- Familiarity with programming language R/Matlab is desirable
- Experience with interdisciplinary research
- Ability to identify and develop innovative research areas and proposals
- Documented ability to attract external funding for research
- Ability to author peer-reviewed journal publications and technical reports
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal relationships skills relevant to scientific and management audiences
- A strong publication track record in high-ranking journals that compares favorably with others at a similar career stage (at least 15 peer reviewed SCI publication, including 3-4 JCR Q1)
- The position will remain open until filled; applications review begins immediately
- This is a full time, one-year, position that can be extended upon satisfactory job performance and achievements of the individuals
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at UAEU. Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion
- A full Curriculum Vitae, including previous employment records, Researcher ID and/or ORCID
- A cover letter
- Contact information for three professional references
- Statement of vision outlining the applicant’s goals and philosophy in developing an integrated research including future research plans
- A complete list of publications including the H-index
The application should be submitted in the university system at (https://jobs.uaeu.ac.ae/search.jsp).
For more information and inquiries, please contact Prof. Mohsen Sherif (email@example.com) or Dr. Ahmed Sefelnasr (firstname.lastname@example.org).