Department: Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management
Faculty Hire Number: 22-14
Effective Date of Appointment: August 24, 2022 (Subject to Budgetary Approval)
Rank: Associate Professor Salary: Dependent upon qualifications
CSUN’s Commitment to You:
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
For more information about the University, visit: http://www.csun.edu
About the College:
For information about the College of Engineering and Computer Science, visit our website at: https://www.csun.edu/engineering-computer-science
About the Department: For more information about the Department of Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management , see: https://www.csun.edu/engineering-computer-science/manufacturing-systems-eng…
Position: The department of Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is seeking a tenure-track faculty member in Manufacturing Systems Engineering at the rank of associate professor. We seek candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of CSUN through their teaching, research, and service. The successful candidate will teach and do research in manufacturing systems and technologies.
In addition to teaching, the position requires weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, and service to the department, college, and university. The successful candidate will be held to the standards and requirements of the college and department in which he/she/they is/are housed for recommending tenure and promotion.
As a Hispanic-serving Institution (HSI), inclusiveness and diversity are integral to CSUN’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As of Fall 2020, CSUN enrolls ~40,000 students, where 56% are Latinx, 20.8% are White, 9.3% are Asian American, 4.8% are Black/African American, 0.1% are Native American, and 0.1% are Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. The successful candidate will help the Department achieve equitable outcomes for all students through teaching, student mentorship, scholarship, and service.
The qualified candidate will have:
- PhD degree in Manufacturing Engineering or a closely related field at the time of application
- Evidence of effective undergraduate and graduate teaching, with a minimum of 4 years of experience
- Experience teaching and researching in traditional and advanced manufacturing systems and technologies including, but not limited to, advanced manufacturing processes, additive manufacturing, hybrid manufacturing, robotics and automation, materials processing, and advanced CAD/CAM
- Evidence of a continuing research program
- Experience involving students in research projects or internships
- Experience teaching, mentoring, and working effectively within a diverse population that includes first generation college students or students from traditionally underserved populations
Preferred candidates will demonstrate:
- Interest in and knowledge of the MSEM department and CSUN including a vision of how the candidate plans to contribute
- Industrial or practical experience with manufacturing processes that will enhance teaching and research
- Experience researching or teaching in materials engineering
- Evidence of ability to balance research, teaching, and service and applying for grants
- Experience with student advisement and supervision
- Experience using culturally responsive pedagogy that leads to improved student learning outcomes for student populations similar to CSUN’s
- Experience with assessment and ABET accreditation
Screening of applications will begin December 1, 2021. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply:
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Applicants must submit to the website in the section above:
- a cover letter addressing the following three points: how you would make a unique contribution to the department; a preliminary plan for establishing your research program at CSUN; your experience working with a diverse population;
- a current curriculum vitae (including all courses taught),
- a research statement including projects with students,
- a teaching statement
- teaching evaluations
- names and contact information (including email addresses and phone numbers) of at least three references.
In later phases of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide additional materials, including professional work samples, and work produced through student mentoring.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the United States.
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available online here. Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity. The person holding this position may be considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management at (818) 677-2167.