Several Postdoc positions and PhD positions (with full graduate research assistantship-GRA) in Mechanical Engineering are immediately available within the research group of Dr. Yi Wang at the University of South Carolina-USC (Columbia/Main campus, https://yiwangusc.wixsite.com/yiwang).
1. Deep Learning on Edge Computing Platform
We will investigate and develop image analysis, deep learning, and computer vision models on the edge-computing platform for health and security monitoring of engineering systems, including but are not limited to structure, thermal and flow, traffic systems, and ocean environment.
Research efforts will include at least one of the followings
- Development of deep learning algorithms
- Development of image analysis, signal processing, and computer vision algorithms
- Development of imaging sensors and pre-processing algorithms
At least one of the qualifications below is preferred:
- Experience in developing computer vision and image analysis codes using Pytorch, TensorFlow, OpenCV, and other relevant.
- Hands-on experience with computing in Matlab, C/C++, Python, or other object-oriented programming languages
- Hands-on experience with imaging sensor development and edge-computing modules, such as Jetson TX series, Intel NUC, Raspberry Pi, and Arduino.
- Strong interest and self-motivation to perform cutting-edge research and conquer challenges in real-world engineering and to publish high-impact papers
USC is the flagship university in the State of South Carolina, and the Ph.D. program at the department of Mechanical Engineering is ranked No. 31 nationally by the National Research Council (NRC) (http://www.me.sc.edu/about/), and the College of Engineering and Computing is ranked No. 1 in the State of South Carolina for faculty research productivity.
The group of Dr. Wang focuses on computational and data-enabled science and engineering (CDS&E) and its applications in real-world multiphysics systems, including energy management, additive manufacturing, aerodynamics & aerospace, traffic systems. CDS&E, recently emerging as a focal point of multidisciplinary research has been applied to essentially each phase of technology development and industrial engineering, from conceptualization, virtual prototyping and design, and automation and control, to final verification and validation (V&V). Our group aims to discover and develop new methodologies, framework, and capabilities to bridge CDS&E and system engineering in the real world and with particular emphasis on multiphysics and engineering intelligence. To apply, please send your CV/Resume, publications, etc. in a single PDF (for Ph.D. applicants, transcripts, and GRE scores are also required) to Dr. Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the email subject "Position Application".